The mission of the Hunger Prevention Coalition as a grassroots organization is “To work together to increase nutritious food for the hungry in Central Oregon”.
What we do:
- We raise funds that we distribute to local food-provider agencies to increase the nutritious quality and quantity of distributed food.
- We also work to increase awareness and educate the general public about the hardships experienced by many individuals, even working families, trying to keep food on the table.
Who we assist:
- We help agencies where sit-down meals are served:
- LaPine Community Kitchen
- Family Kitchen in Bend
- Saving Grace, a shelter for abused women and children
- Bethlehem Inn, a homeless shelter
- Bend’s Community Center
- We also give funds to agencies that give out food boxes:
- St. Vincent de Paul’s agencies in Bend, Redmond, Prineville and LaPine
- The Giving Plate
- Holy Trinity Care and Share in South County
- Jericho Road in Redmond
- Salvation Army.
How we help feed hungry people:
- Since we began the program in late 2002 we have given the food-provider agencies over $500,000 – ONE HALF MILLION DOLLARS – to increase the nutritious food given to those in need in Central Oregon
- At our membership meetings, we have a roundtable where all the agencies can share their successes, problems and needs.
- Almost all agencies report they are serving increasing numbers of folks which are often those of young families with children that are suddenly experiencing hard times whether through job loss or medical bills, and older persons who’ve never sought such help before. Altogether, they serve more than 165,000 meals every month.
- The funds we provide permit them to serve more fresh fruits, vegetables, dairy and meat to enrich the meals. These are essentials for healthy diets, and especially important for the very many children receiving this assistance.
Who we are:
- We are volunteer-driven, and currently have no paid staff.
- Total expense for all operations in 2013 was just 11% of income.
- The Hunger Prevention Coalition is a 501[c]3, Fed ID: 68-0536273